1. Web based Excel Chart Publishing It is an interactive way for publishing active data by employing extensive use of highly effective chart generation tools. The main advantage of using
Performing calculations and doing analysis based on numbers are among the main features of designing reports from excel. With the upgrade in excel versions it’s formatting, drawing, add graphics ability is improved which is useful in the generation of reports. With the help of this improvisation one can combine many other tools like PowerPoint to the numbers and calculation toll available in excel. So, with the increase in technology new and improved functions and tools are available for the generation of reports in excel.
Instructions for designing reports from excel:
- Try to complete all the data and calculations work in your worksheet. Even in case if your data and calculations possess multiple worksheets. In which case as well you can import the data together into one report.
- Put the rough idea about how you want your report to look. Also consider what you require in headers and footers, which text you want to be emphasized and want to include what kind of graphical elements to the report.
- Now From the Insert tab on the Office Fluent Ribbon, click on the Header & Footer which is present in the Text group to design the headers and footers. This is the text that displays on every page of the report. By clicking on this command you can open the Header & Footer Tools ribbon, where you can add pictures, page numbers, date and time stamp and variables.
- With the help of the Insert tab, you can also add visual interest to your report by inserting smart art, your own pictures or Microsoft clip. There is also an option of inserting text boxes, shapes, and freehand drawings you can do things such as add a stylized title to your report, relevant graphic or illustration, or represent some parts of your worksheet in such a way that is other than a traditional graph so, using these tools, which are similar to the drawing tools in other Microsoft applications.
- Accomplish formatting the text and cells of your worksheet using features such as cell shading, cell borders, text alignment and fonts From the Home tab.
- Also adjust printing aspects of your report, that includes page margins size , which rows or columns to repeat on subsequent pages and page breaks occurrence with the help of “From the Page Layout” tab. If you have more data on a given worksheet then you want to print on the report, use the Print Area command to clearly identify and print the area of the worksheet.
- Now you have to select Print and then give the option of Print Preview.
- Now move through steps 3 and through 6, adjusting graphics, layout and formatting until your report is printed appropriately.
With the help of Microsoft excel you can make lots of data visually appealing, in comparison with the basic spreadsheet interface, in relation to rows and columns, where data is entered. Designing and create report in Excel is possible with the use of borders, formatting of various types and charting display. You can format numbers for dates, phone numbers, currency, zip codes or for any numeric value. Attention grabbing reports can be generated with the help of excel reporting and its tools such as advanced borders and clip art.
Here is the brief outline on how to create a report in excel.
Launch new and blank workbook in excel
Then click insert tab and then choose header and footer icon from the text group. Now type a name for your report in the Text field that appear at the top of the report.
Click and go to the footer from the navigation group that is present on the design tab. Then you have to type report footer or you can also click on one of the choices from the header and footer elements groups such as current date or may be page number, to insert the particular information in the footer.
Click on those data cells which says click to add data and after that click normal in the workbook view groups from the view tab.
In the first row and column of the spreadsheet type some data labels and then press tab to save the cell and then move to the next column or otherwise you can also press enter to save the cell and then move to the next row.
Now point the cursor at the line between the column letters till the cursor turns into a vertical line with two arrows which are printing towards the opposite direction. Click and hold the mouse button and then slide the column width so that it can adjust accordingly.
To enter data in any cell click that cell and press tab to save the cell and move to the next column. Click and hold the mouse down and by dragging the cursor to the lower-right corner of the data, release the mouse button to highlight the cells range. Now Right-click on any cell in the highlighted range and click Format Cells.
After Selecting a number format from the Category list on the Number tab of the Format Cells dialog box, Select from choices for the alignment of the data within the cells on the Alignment tab.
Change the selected font size and typeface and after that apply a font colour or attribute from the Font tab. Also create a border for the selected data on the Border tab. Click OK after finishing formatting the cell which are selected and then repeat for other ranges of data on the spreadsheet.
Select a range of cells that contain data and labels for the data. Click Other Charts from the Charts group of the Insert menu and click All Chart Types in order to display list of charts. Now you can click on any of the listed charts and then click OK to create a dynamic chart of the selected data automatically. Now, the charts will automatically do all the updates so any changes made to the data in the selected region will get automatically reflected.
Pivot table report is one of the most important and powerful tools in creating report in excel. With the help of pivot table one can do interpretation of data in many, and there is no need of entering formulas. Pivot table reports are quite useful when one want to add many other functions in excel reporting such as narrow down a large data set or analyze relationships between data points
Through pivot table report, designing, summarizing, and analyzing loads of data by different categorizations and calculations is possible within short span of time.
First of all organize your data into columns. Column headers will later become the fields that will be added in pivot table report.
- If in case you don’t select a range of cells by yourself then, Google sheets will do this for you, it will detect a range of cells for pivot table and then select it. There is also an option of editing that data range also.
- For the quick and easy change in data analysis, you have to drag fields to other categories.
- With the help of same group of data, many pivot table reports can be created. For this you have to go to the data source and there create a new pivot table report but on a separate sheet.
- Uploading and Conversion of Pivot tables created in Microsoft Excel to Google Sheets are possible and downloading and conversion of pivot table reports built in Google Sheets to Microsoft Excel format is also possible. By this you can also do the analyzing part of the data, irrespective of format.
Steps to create a pivot table report from the spreadsheet data.
- Open the spreadsheet containing the data for your pivot table which you want to use.
- Then open the Data menu and select Pivot table report.
- A new spreadsheet named Pivot Table 1 now will get opened in your spreadsheet and the Report Editor will get open to the right. An empty pivot table report is contained by that sheet.
- In the Report Editor, select the fields and categories like values, rows and columns or filters categories of your pivot table report.
- To change data arrangement in table drag fields to a different category ‘
Some built in settings to make data analyzing easy and preventing it to breaking the pivot table report.
- The pivot table report will add the values of each row and column into a grand total automatically. And these particular Grand total summaries will appear at the right and to the bottom of your pivot table report.
- Manual editing of cell values is not possible by inserting new values or by changing formula as this will break the connection between the original data set and report.
Opening and closing the Report Editor
Click outside the borders of the pivot table report and it will close the Report Editor, or click the X in the top right of the Report Editor.
Edit the pivot table report by clicking at any of the cells inside the borders of the table.