Excel Reporting is considered as the most reliable and flexible reporting tool in the modern technology. It provides its best support in summary tables and reports in case the data
Excel Reporting is considered as the most reliable and flexible reporting tool in the modern technology. It provides its best support in summary tables and reports in case the data for the report to be generated is very huge in size. Considering these special features in Excel Reporting tools, certain maintaining tips are provided here to build better reports with pivot tables and more.
- You should note that there is a dedicated environment in Excel Reporting Tool to support the Graphical User Interface (GUI) styles. Make your extensive use of this GUI to provide better visualization to the reports.
- The inclusion of Pivot Tables into the Excel Reporting is a boon to the programmers since the pivot tables, in addition to querying the data source and producing the desired report as per the requirements, it also helps users in providing a three dimensional look to the chart and other diagrammatic representation of the data in reports.
- Make use of these pivot tables, because these reports will not just fetch the data and display it as a report. Once the data is rendered, it is validated against the system data to verify if the obtained data is correct or not and then renders it in the form of report. In this way the accuracy of data is maintained at all times.
- Users are provided their fullest freedom to include their own logos into the reports and also these reports are grouped according to the organization to which they belong to. These logos can also be printed or sent through fax to wherever required. This is a long standing advantage of Excel Reports.
- There is an inbuilt option readily available in Excel Reporting Tool which is the Chart Filters it allows the users to filter even the data available on charts. This helps in comparing the data more accurately. There is another option in Excel Reporting called “Chart styles” which helps the users to set appropriate formatting styles to the charts and set colors to different sets of data.
- Since Excel itself is known for the best feature of having various inbuilt formulas to make the calculations more easy. In addition to these system generated formulas, there are some newly built aggregate functions and also other calculations which can be used to make it simpler. It also allows the users to increase the row size automatically based on the number of data present to some extent due to which no data could be lost.
Excel is one of the best reporting tools ever designed to satisfy business users requirements. Programmers need to be trained well even before commencing to design scripts for report generation and pay more attention while creating the financial reports that are very useful for a business to understand the budgeting and performance of an organization in real time. Though Excel forms or reports are quite easy to use and generate reports, there are some limitations that needs to be dealt with.
Problem with loading images in Excel Forms:
Most programmers state that they encounter many problems while importing an image which contains an URL in it. When they import such an image, an exception is thrown and the entire system is shut down leading to loss of data.
Problems with row and column marginal values:
Since most of the reports are based on the insertion of data in table formats, this issue needs to be treated with high priority. Programmers face problems in assigning the width of a row or column in terms of percentage. Though explicit coding might provide better results, it is not a complete and perfect fix.
Problems with formatting:
Another problem faced in Excel Reporting, the imported format templates are not properly used for each report that is generated. Since the template contains a standard logo and font settings for every organization, it is necessary to make these templates to work properly.
Inaccuracy in data display:
In most cases, programmers are forced to code multiple nested report objects which renders data more than what is required. Because of the limitations set on Excel to approximately about 64K records in one sheet, some data gets lost while executing these nested report objects. As a result, wrong data gets displayed in inappropriate columns leading to chaos and confusion.
Inability in accessing the report delivered via mails:
Some business stakeholders put forth a problem that they are not able to access and view the reports that are sent across through e-mails. They are not able to view the reports in HTML or XML formats which disappoints the users.
Problems with authentication:
Authentication and security of a report is much more important than just generating the reports. Hence Single Sign on has to be properly implemented on the report to avoid disclosing of the most important information to inappropriate users.
Despite any other reporting tool used across the globe, Excel help is known for its distinguished features of providing parameter points during the report creation. In most organizations, bulk reports need to be created right at one shot and to implement this, a primary value or column which is different in each report can be specified as the parameter. With this parameter passed, businesses can generate different reports without making much changes in the report script or design.
To enhance the process of rendering report via Excel help, programmers have come up with few tricks as follows:
Creation of Summary Reports:
In case, you have two or more reports that are identical, but with slightly different sets of data, then there comes the need of consolidation of all these reports into one single summary report. This summary report will keep track of all data irrespective of environment. When you face any issues in consolidating these reports, you can opt for this unique and hidden feature in Excel reporting Tool. The “Data Consolidate” feature will help you consolidate the data by prompting you to few windows wherein you will be asked to provide two or more reports for which the consolidated report needs to be generated.
Excellent Inbuilt formulas:
Most of you may face difficulties in setting up the row size, isn’t it? You might forget to set the row size in advance and once the report is generated, you will wonder that most data is lost. To eliminate this problem, you can follow this tip.
There is an intelligent reference expansion functionality present in Excel help, which in addition to the normal aggregate functions and calculations, will allow reports to extend rows as required without any prior notice.
Flexibility in output formats:
This is a distinguished feature of Excel reporting Tool, wherein reporting charts are not treated as simple static images. The biggest advantage of this tip is that recipient of the report is provided with full rights to make changes in the format of charts as required. One more advantage is that the report generated can be output to many formats like PDF, HTML among many others and can be opened in a browser as well.
Though there are so many features available, are you worrying about limitations in rows and columns? There is nothing to worry, because there are 16,000 columns and 1 million rows to fill in data!